Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Reflections of a soon-to-be 24 year old



             Wow, what a year it has been!  At first glance, most would agree that the 23rd year of life for Colt Campbell simply sucked.  I lost my very best friend, Dad, to a hard fought battle of cancer.  I ended a long relationship of 3 years.  I buried my childhood puppy dog 2 weeks before Dad passed away.  I overloaded myself with 14+ hour days consisting of a first year band director job and a full-time masters degree.  Most scary of all, I questioned my faith and my identity as a human being. 

            Now, as I look 24 straight in the eyes, I realize that 23 really wasn’t that bad. 

My father shared with me the most important lessons he ever taught me during the last few months of his life.   As a child I was glued to my father’s hip.  I always wanted to be apart of every single thing he was doing.  His patience with me was unwavering as he watched me struggle to hammer a nail into a block of wood, swing a baseball bat, tie a necktie, change my oil, lay block foundation, wire a house, put on a roof, fix a lawn mower, and much, much more.  He shared with me his love for music, hard work, and humor.   As his health declined, Dad was always positive as he fought the terrible disease that consumed his body.   Never phased by pain or weakness, Dad pushed through setting an example for his family.  Dad, teaching his final lesson, exemplified true love.  As a result, my family is now inseparable.  The bond my brothers and my mother feel is ever stronger thanks to the never-ending faith and smiles of my dad.

Ending a long-term relationship put my head in a spin.  Starting as a joke, and then progressing into an application, website, and professional endorsement, Date Quest Campbell Edition took flight.  My big brother Dan, also fresh out of a long relationship, and I had a blast creating the idea.  Our goal, to find the best date in the Carolinas, turned into quite an adventure.  Applications arrived, dates took place, and much was learned from both Dan and I.  I learned I am a sucker for a great smile, sarcasm, and a girl who loves the outdoors.  I learned how to respect each lady, target their positive traits, and treat them like an angel for the evening.  The best date of all during the Quest was with a 60 some year old woman with grey hair, a killer smile, and a hot foot.  For her birthday, I took my mother swing dancing. 

I…love…my…job.  Despite the 60+ hour weeks, football games, loud buses, booked Saturdays, and sleepless nights, I love being a band director.  I learned to love my students at Dutch Fork Middle School helping to propel them into what turned out to be a very successful year.  Life took a new direction recently as I accepted the Band Director position at West-Oak High School.  Now, with the year underway and after hours upon hours of preparation, our little band program is well on its way.  I see myself sticking around the upstate of SC for quite some time.  Go Warriors!

I can bear testimony that adversity has strengthened me.   God has given my family and I trials so we can grow as we focus on our final destination, living with our heavenly father with the ones we love.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will see Dad again.  Thanks to my knowledge of the gospel as a Latter-Day Saint (Mormon), I know where I came from, why I am here, and where I am going.  I have found a new spark as I attend my Sunday meetings, pray often, and refer to the guidance and counsel of modern day prophets.   As I work as a young men’s leader in my church, I wish that these teenagers could feel just a glimpse of what I have felt over the last year.  Just like I did, I’m sure they would grow to become a much stronger person.

Bring it 24!

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Colt. I was late reading this, but just in time for Dad's birthday. Luvyas.

    ReplyDelete