Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Happy Birthday to my Best Friend

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today has been filled with tears, laughs, and endless memories.  I could write a book as my mind is flooded with thoughts; however, I'd simply like to share one simple story.

Dad loved to fish.  One afternoon, Dad and I load the canoe on top of the car and drove an hour to our favorite fishing spot, Gatewood Park.  We float around the lake while casting along the bank catching mammoth sized blue gill and red eye.  After a successful afternoon on the lake, Dad steers the canoe back to the dock.  (This was no normal canoe.  Our redneck cruise liner included a trolling motor).  I pick up the last load of supplies and began to head to the car.  I hear a loud splash, turn around and see nothing but a rocking canoe and a brown hat floating in the water.  A second later, Dad surfaces looking alarmed.  I ask him what happened.  He quickly responds, "I tried to step on the dock but missed!"  There have been many instances where I have cried due to laughter; however, this time I couldn't control myself at all.  After 5-10 minutes of solid laughing back and forth, we pack up the canoe and make the wet journey back home.  

Simple memories like this are what I cherish the most.  Despite the situation, Dad always was able to lighten the situation with a positive attitude and a good laugh.  Now, at times when I have a good laugh, I can feel Dad up in heaven laughing with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment